Due to many requests this recipe is being put up in a flash! After posting a beautiful picture of Harley's Birthday Cake on Instagram I had several of you interested in the recipe (which totally made my day by the way)! I was so excited to get creative with Harley's Birthday Cake this year. Last year when he turned one, I made him a sugar free "baby" cake. It was fruit sweetened and pretty simple. I wasn't ready to introduce my 1 year old into the world of chocolate, icing, and Oreos just yet. It was a simple but a great cake for a first birthday (you can find that recipe under the "blog" section of my site). Now that Harley is 2, which is still, in my opinion, young to be having a sugar hangover, I wanted to go all out. Without being able to help it he has had many fun treats by now. All Vegan friendly of course. His absolute favorite treat is..OREOS! Yes, yes Oreos are Vegan friendly if you didn't know! Pretty crazy those things don't contain any form of dairy, so for a special treat Mom says okay. I thought I would surprise him with an over the top OREO cake. Like I've said before any excuse to bake and I WILL BAKE! Of course the cake had to be chocolate and the frosting had to be white to portray this classic cookie. I used small cake pans to make the perfect size cake for the little man. Then I crumbled up a bunch of Oreos to decorate all over the cake and the serving tray. I also threw in a couple of whole Oreos for decorating. Harley was over the moon when he saw me walk out of the kitchen with this Crazy Cookie Cake. I could tell he loved it before he even had a bite. I'm pretty sure his exact words or word was, "Wooooooah!!" He finished off a whole piece to himself and then continued to pick all the cookie crumbs off the rest of the cake. I can't believe my little boy is two. We love him so much.
I'm sharing this recipe with you all to show you Vegan kids don't miss out on anything.
A good birthday cake will always be a tradition even in our heathy home.
Hope some of you will be able to make this cake for your little ones and they will enjoy it too.
The Vegan Ferri
Vegan Oreo Birthday Cake
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup applesauce
1 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp ground flax
1 cup + 3 tbsp organic cane sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 can "Wholesome" brand Organic Vanilla Frosting
1 carton of mini Oreos
1. Preheat oven to 350, lightly grease two mini round cake pans
2. Combine all wet ingredients into a medium sized bowl, beat with electric beaters OR add them to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
(melted oil, applesauce, almond milk, sugar, vanilla)
3. In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients
(flour, cocoa, salt, flax, baking powder & soda)
4. Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry, mix well until all clumps are gone
5. Fill both cake pans evenly with batter
6. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean
7. Let cake completely cool and then frost- start by frosting the middle layer, stack cakes, and then frost completely, including all sides
8. Crumble 1 cups worth of Oreo cookies, sprinkle over entire cake, should easily stick to frosting
9. Decorate more with desired amount of full Oreos
10. Slice and serve